After the black linen dress (and a terrible second attempt at an off white one) I set about trying to make a pair of boy’s shorts, for two reasons I guess. Firstly, although I only have a little miss, I didn’t want to make clothes solely for girls. A lot of my friends and relos have boys, and I reckon the range of things for boys is pretty poor (you know, baby blue, appliqued trucks etcetera). Secondly, I just never thought I’d be able to do a zip fly, but after the bag-inspired crash course in sewing, thought I’d give it a shot. About five hours later, I had a pair of white linen pants, very cute save for the yellow chalk marks (which didn’t want to wash off) and the inflexible waist band.
Next came a little bit of road testing for size and comfort….with the help of little people. That lead to a couple of big changes in pattern design. The size 1 and 2 pants now have a fully elasticsed waist band and a false fly (no zip, appearance only). For sizes 3 and up, the waist band is elasticised at the back to allow for variations in tummy sizes, and the button is for appearance only, with the band actually secured with a press stud inside.
Probably my favourite thing about the boys shorts (all sizes) is the contrast coloured pockets, both hip and back. Other contrasts I use are the waist band, belt loops and hem cuff. More photos follow of the detail…